Departments & Faculty
WHO Oral Health Collaborative Center »
- Botswana – Penn Dental Medicine students are able to spend 2-4 weeks in Botswana, supporting the dental care system by serving as dental assistants and observing unusual lesions and cases under the tutelage of the oral surgeon based in Gaborone. The School’s Department of Oral Medicine is developing consultant support for the public dental care program in Botswana and exploring the potential of a telemedicine program to identify oral lesions. The School’s WHO Collaborative Center will also support a research project to evaluate the success of a school-based program to improve children’s oral health.
- Atraumatic Restorative Treament (ART) Training and Service Programs
- Diversity, Culture and Oral Health Project: Research and Service Program to an Underserved Ethnic Community
- Recruitment and retention of minority students in dental schools
- Minority Outreach Oral Health Initiative
- International student and faculty exchange programs
- Sharing of educational resources with institutions in countries with limited resources
- Working with the WHO Collaborating Centre for Education, Training and Research at the Faculty of Odontology, Malmö, Sweden, to build resources for the WHO Oral Health Country/Area Profile Project (CAPP), a database to present information on dental diseases and oral health services for various countries, with the addition of programs from Penn Dental Medicine, including its oral health education and sealant program.
The Robert Schattner Center
University of Pennsylvania
School of Dental Medicine
240 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030