Penn Dental Medicine Clinics »
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Statement of Patient’s Rights
The University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine is committed to providing you, our patient, with quality and comprehensive dental care that meets the standards of care in the profession. The following are your rights, when you receive care in any of our clinics:
- Respectful and considerate treatment.
- Continuity and completion of care.
- Access to information on the rules and regulations of the School of Dental Medicine’s Clinics.
- A timely and reasonable response to your request for dental care.
- Treatment without discrimination based upon race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, and national origin.
- Advance cost estimate of proposed treatment.
- Informed consent.
- Access to information about your care.
- An explanation of recommended treatment, treatment alternatives, the option to refuse treatment, and the risk of no treatment.
- An interpreter, whenever possible, if you do not speak English.
- The option to choose whether or not to participate in clinical research.
- Instructions for care that is required following a procedure.
- Access to a patient advocate.
- Access to and copies of your dental records upon request.
- The opportunity to review and obtain our Notice of Privacy Practices.
Statement of Patient’s Responsibilities
As a patient of the School of Dental Medicine you are expected to work with your dental care team to facilitate your treatment. We expect you to:
- Observe federal, state, local, and university rules and regulations.
- Provide complete and accurate information about your present dental complaints and medical history.
- Cooperate with your dental care team.
- Ask questions if you do not clearly understand your dental care.
- Be considerate and respectful of other patients and staff members.
- Be prompt and considerate of your dental students’ time; if you need to cancel an appointment, please cancel at least 24 hours in advance or it will be considered a “disappointment”.
- Observe the School’s no smoking policy.
- Accept financial responsibility for all services you