Concise training exercises are designed to familiarize participants with working comfortably under the surgical operating microscope and to introduce the latest microsurgical techniques and instruments. Topics covered in the Lectures include:
The microsurgery triad: illumination; magnification; instruments
- Case selection criteria
- Microsurgical instruments and their effective use
- Ultrasonic retropreparation with surgical tips
- The importance of managing and treating isthmuses
- A “best” retrofilling material; SuperEBA or MTA or Bioceramcis?
- Advanced microsurgery concepts: molar surgery without fear
- Management of sinus perforation and mental foramen
- Effective hemostatic techniques
- Improved suturing materials
- Guided bone regeneration techniques
- Cooperation of the microsurgical team
- Alternative to apical surgery: tooth replantation technique
Stage 1: The Microscope – Microscope focus, parfocal, and position exercises. Prepared extracted human teeth are used for apex and isthmus identification, retropreparation and retrofilling techniques with MTA and Bioceramics-.
Stage 2: Microsurgery – Simulating the private practice setting, participants practice osteotomy, apicoectomy, ultrasonic retropreparation and retrofilling on dental mannequins.
Live Demonstration of Microsurgery: The Center Director, Dr. Syngcuk Kim, demonstrates optimal positioning of the patient, the surgeon, and the assistant(s). Usage of various microsurgical instruments during an actual surgery and the concepts and principles discussed in the lectures are illustrated. Participants observe the microsurgery on a TV monitor in the conference room in real time and are encouraged to interact with the surgical team during the procedure via the two-way audio system.
Stage 3: Mannequin Microsurgery Practice – To build confidence and efficiency, participants practice complete microsurgical techniques on anterior, bicuspid and posterior teeth on dental mannequins under the microscope.
Click here to register>>
All courses are held at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. The School reserves the right to cancel or postpone a course due to unforeseen circumstances.
Penn Endodontic Global Symposia
Dr. Meetu R. Kohli
Program Director – CE & International Program