Financial Aid and Scholarships »
General Student Scholarships
While most students’ financial aid need will be covered by grants and loans, students should explore financial aid from outside sources to reduce the amount of loan borrowed. This page provides information on scholarship opportunities as well as internet sites that may be helpful. Students should avoid search services and financial aid consultants that charge a fee for their services. These services can be expensive and do not guarantee results.
While the Office of Student Affairs makes every attempt to provide current and complete financial resource information, this list is by no means comprehensive. Students should look for sources of funding based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, geographic location, where parents work, etc. Programs, deadlines, and eligibility requirements are constantly changing. Student Affairs cannot assume responsibility for the information provided.
Federal & State Goverment Resources
Academy of LDS Dentists Scholarship
- Awarded to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; must have completed at least one year of dental school and be a student member of the academy of LDS Dentists.
- Funds can be used any way the recipient desires. Criteria will be based on merit, financial need, and potential for contribution to the profession.
- Award amount: $1,000 and $1,500 scholarships
- TO APPLY: Application due by October 1, http://academyofldsdentists.com/students/scholarship-application-forms/
Addison H. Gibson Foundation Low-Interest Educational Loans
- Low-interest loans are available for residents of Western Pennsylvania.
- Professional and graduate students may borrow up to a maximum amount of $18,000.
- 2% annual interest until one year after graduation and then 5% annual interest during the repayment period.
- For more information, call 412-261-1611 or visit the Educational Trust page at: www.gibson-fnd.org
AFA Air Force Spouse Scholarships
- Available to first year students
- Spouses who are themselves Air Force Personnel are not eligible.
- Scholarships are awarded in May.
- $2,500 stipend.
- Scholarships may be used to pay for any reasonable cost related to pursuing a degree. This includes tuition and books. Any remaining money can be used to pay for other related expenses (e.g., transportation, childcare).
- The spouse can be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree.
- TO APPLY: Call (703) 247-5839, email AEFStaff@aef.org, or visit http://www.afa.org/aef/default.asp?pm=e.
- Applications are due Nov 30th of each year and are available on the Internet.
Ahura Scholarship for Talented Young Zoroastrians
- This is a one-time grant to help finance study. Candidates of diverse nationalities are welcomed to apply.
- Award amount: $1,000 – $3,000
- TO APPLY: Mail the completed application by July: http://www.zagba.org/AhuraScholarship.htm
AHEPA Educational Foundation
- The applicant is of Greek descent; or a member or son or daughter of a member, in good standing, of AHEPA, the Daughters of Penelope, Sons of Pericles or the Maids of Athena.
- Award amount: $500 to $2,000
- TO APPLY: Application is due in March; http://ahepa.org/dotnetnuke/Programs/EducationScholarships.aspx
Alva Appleby Scholarship
- Available to residents of the state of Maine.
- Award amounts may vary, but will be at least $500.
- Additionally, the MDA provides low-interest loans to dental students who have been residents of Maine for five years.
- There is no specific deadline when applying for loans.
- TO APPLY: Applications are mailed to the Student Affairs Office.
- Scholarship applications are due by October 31th of each year.
American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Available to dental residents.
- Intended to provide exposure to research related to implant dentistry.
- Applicants are required to make an oral presentation, a poster presentation, or a table clinic presentation.
- Grants are available in the amount of $2,000 plus $500 travel expenses.
- TO APPLY: Call 312-335-1550 or go visit: www.aaid.com
American Association of University Women (AAUW) – Career Development Grant
- Available to women already in a career and those pursuing professions where women are underrepresented.
- Largest source of funding exclusively for graduate women.
- Award amount will vary, but will be at least $2,000.
- Available after August 1.
- TO APPLY: Visit: www.aauw.org or call 800-326-2289.
American Association of Women Dentists/Gillette Hayden Memorial Fund Loans
- Available to promising women dental students in their Junior or Senior years of study. Loan amounts due to exceed $2,000 with 5% interest.
- Scholarship, financial need, and indebtedness are considered.
- TO APPLY: Visit: www.aawd.org/membership/benefits/awards/
American College of Prosthodontists Research Fellowships in conjunction with Proctor & Gamble
- All dental students, residents, fellows, and graduate students enrolled in US schools of dentistry in dental-related fields are eligible to apply.
- Eight fellowship grants of $6,000 each are awarded annually to support meritorious research proposals.
- Applications will be evaluated on scientific merit, feasibility, and significance.
- TO APPLY: Visit www.prosthodontics.org or call: (312) 573-1260
- Applications are due in October each year.
American Dental Association (ADA) Endowment and Assistance Fund, Inc.
- Second-year students who are US citizens and attend an accredited dental school are eligible.
- The maximum grant is $2,500 per year.
- Scholarship awards are based on a student’s academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale), financial need, character references, and a summary statement of personal and professional goals.
- TO APPLY: Penn Dental Medicine receives information and applications each year. An e-mail will be sent by the Office of Student Affairs when the packet arrives. Students typically apply in the fall of their second year of dental school.
Armenian Student Association Scholarship
- Must be of Armenian descent. Must be a U.S. citizen or must possess appropriate Visa status in order to study in the U.S.
- Award amount: Up to $5,000.
- TO APPLY: Apply by March 15; http://www.asainc.org/national/scholarships.shtml
Berks County Community Foundation Scholarships
- Offers scholarships to needy and worthy students who are residents of Berks County.
- Numerous scholarships and grants with varied eligibility requirements.
- Most deadlines are in January & February.
- TO APPLY: Visit http://www.bccf.org/scholarships/index.html
Chinese American Medical Society Scholarships
- The Chinese American Medical Society offers scholarships to students of Chinese descent pursuing dental studies.
- TO APPLY: Application forms are available from the organization’s web site. Apply by April 30; http://www.camsociety.org/scholarshipprogram.html
Connecticut State Dental Association/David Lynch Scholarship
- Connecticut residents, who are US citizens, full-time students of high academic achievement, in need of financial aid may apply
- $2,000 interest-free loan which must be paid back over a period of five years after graduation.
- TO APPLY: Visit www.csda.com for more information or contact the Scholarship Coordinator, Connecticut State Dental Association, 62 Russ Street, Hartford, CT 06106, or call (860) 378-1800. The deadline to apply is June 30 of each year.
Delaware Academy of Medicine
- Provides general assistance loans to Delaware residents studying dentistry.
- Available to U.S. Citizen or permanent residents who have one year of residency in the state of Delaware.
- Applicants must already be accepted into a degree-granting program.
- Not available to federally funded armed forces students.
- TO APPLY: Visit www.delamed.org or call (302) 656-1629.
Delaware State Dental Society/G. Layton Grier Scholarship
- Available to Delaware residents who have completed their freshman year at a US accredited dental school in good academic standing and demonstrate financial need.
- $1,000 scholarships.
- Applicant must submit official transcripts, three letters of reference, a biographical sketch (including a statement as to why they should be chosen for the award), proof of Delaware residency, and specific financial need forms (including parents’ statement of income).
- TO APPLY: Write to: Scholarship Coordinator, Delaware State Dental Society, 1925 Lovering Avenue, Wilmington, DE 19806 or call (302) 368-7634. The deadline to apply is March 1 of each year.
Florida Dental Association
- Available to Florida residents with financial need enrolled in their second year at any US accredited dental school with a minimum GPA of 3.0 may apply.
- $5,000 loans are available and will begin payback one year after graduation.
- TO APPLY: Visit www.floridadental.org, e-mail: email@example.com or call: 850-681-3629. The deadline to apply is March 31 of each year.
Greater St. Louis Dental Society
- Available for the academic year to dental students attending an accredited dental school (who are Missouri residents). The scholarship is provided through cooperative funding from Delta Dental Plans of Missouri.
- This scholarship is based on achievement and need.
- $1,500 Scholarships.
- Applicants must be full-time student at an accredited dental school in his/her final two years of the program
- Applicant must have been a resident of Missouri for a minimum of five years.
- The applicant should have a future goal of starting his/her dental career in the St. Louis area.
- TO APPLY: Write or e-mail: Greater St. Louis Dental Society 11457 Olde Cabin Road, Suite 300, St. Louis, MO, 63141 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (314)569-0444.
Hellenic Club of Philadelphia
- Applicants must be of Greek descent, U.S. citizens, and lawful permanent residents of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, or Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania; Burlington, Camden, Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
- The Dr. Nicholas Padis Memorial Graduate Scholarship: A scholarship in the amount of $5000 will be awarded to a qualifying senior undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a graduate degree full time at an accredited university or professional school. Academic excellence is the primary consideration for this scholarship.
- The Nicholas S. Hetos, DDS, Memorial Graduate Scholarship: An award in the amount of $2000 will be awarded to a senior undergraduate or graduate student with financial need pursuing studies leading to a D.M.D. degree.
- TO APPLY: Write or e-mail – Scholarship Chair, Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia, P.O. Box 408 Ardmore, PA 19003 or email@example.com www.hucphila.org
- Application deadline is in the spring of each year.
Horace Wells Club Trust Fund Scholarship
- Scholarships available for dental students who are from the state of Connecticut.
- $1,000 scholarships.
- TO APPLY: Applications are mailed to the Students Affair Office. Applications are due in November.
Horvat Scholarship Fund
- Available to students who have a science major, have high levels of financial need, graduated in the top 10% of their high school class and currently maintain grades that place them on the Dean’s List.
- Applicants must be residents of one of these three cities in Pennsylvania: Avoca, Duryea, and Dupont.
- TO APPLY: Call Maureen T. McAuvic at 570-826-9798 or see Sue Schwartz in the Office of Student Affairs. The approximate deadline to apply is April 30th of each year.
International Order of King’s Daughter and Sons Health Care Scholarship
- Scholarships available for US and Canadian Citizens pursuing careers in dentistry and other health fields.
- TO APPLY: Requests for applications may be made after January 1 by writing to Director, Health Careers Department, P.O. Box 1040, Chautauqua, NY 14722-1040. For more information please visit: www.iokds.org
Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) Scholarship
- The JACL offers a number of scholarships, with the $5,000 Dr. Kiyoshi Sonoda Memorial Scholarship devoted to dental students. Applicants must be active members of the National JACL pursuing a degree in dentistry.
- TO APPLY: Apply by April 1; http://www.jacl.org/edu/scholar.htm
The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia
- Interest-free loans and grants
- Award amount: $2,000 – $8,000
- TO APPLY: Applications can be downloaded in March and are due by May 31: http://www.jewishphilly.org/page.aspx?id=124638
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago
- Approximately $500,000 is available for Jewish students who are identified as having promise for significant contributions in their chosen careers, and are in need of financial assistance for full-time academic programs primarily in the helping professions.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate-level “helping profession” program, such as medicine, human services, the rabbinate, or Jewish communal services.
- Legal domicile must be in the greater Chicago metropolitan area, or in some cases, Cook County or Northwest Indiana. Refugees or asylees are encouraged to apply, as citizenship is not a prerequisite.
- Jewish Vocational Service administrates the scholarship program and personally interviews all applicants before May 1st at one of its many offices throughout the Chicago metropolitan area.
- TO APPLY: Go to www.jvschicago.org and click on Scholarship Services. For additional information or questions, call JVS Scholarship Secretary at 312-673-3457 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: February 15th of each year.
John Gyles Education Fund
- Available for US and Canadian Citizens attending a full-time school in either country.
Up to $3,000 scholarships.
- TO APPLY: To receive an application send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to The John Gyles Education Fund, Secretary, PO Box 4808, 712 Riverside Drive, Frederiction, New Brunswick, Canada E3B-5G4, call (506) 459-7460, or e-mail email@example.com.
LGBT HEART Scholarship Fund for the Health Professions
- Single-year scholarships are available on an annual basis to ‘out’ LGBT students pursuing advanced degrees in the health professions who have a demonstrated ability in and commitment to affecting change in the LGBT communities through their commitment to working and being educated in the health professions.
- Award amount: At least $2,000
- TO APPLY: Applications are due in June; http://www.lgbtheart.org/Scholarship_info.html
Maine Educational Loan Authority (MELA)
- Alternative low-interest loan available to residents of Maine attending approved schools in the U.S.
- Requires sound credit history and the ability to repay debt Student may borrow the cost of education minus other financial aid.
- Low variable interest rate adjusted annually.
- TO APPLY: Visit www.mela.net to complete the online application or call 1-800-922-6352.
Margaret Yardley Fellowship
- Available to female post-graduate students who display financial need.
- $1,000 Scholarship.
- Applicants must be residents of New Jersey and full-time students in a graduate study/doctorate program.
- Scholarship consideration is based on scholastic achievement and career service potential.
- TO APPLY: Write to 55 Labor Center Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1593 or visit www.njsfwc.org. The approximate deadline to apply is March 1st.
Monroe County Dental Society
- Available to second, third, and fourth year dental students who are legal residents of Monroe County, NY.
- Applicants are interviewed in Rochester, NY during the holiday recess.
- TO APPLY: Write to 1441 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14610-1699 or call (716) 244-5390. Application deadline is December 15 of each year.
National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program
- Program helps dental students finance professional schooling, while at the same time helping to assure access to primary health care in historically underserved areas.
- To be eligible for the NHSC Scholarship Program, you must be a US citizen enrolled in a fully-accredited US school.
- There is a minimum two year contract requirement to work in an underserved area of choice.
- TO APPLY: Visit nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov or call: 1-800-221-9393. The Office of Student Affairs receives applications for the program each year.
New Hampshire Dental Society Educational Loan
- Available to New Hampshire residents who have successfully completed their first year of dental school.
- $2,000/year available for a total of $6,000 in loan over three years.
- Loan accrues no interest while in school. Interest does accrue after graduation. The loan bears an interest rate of 2% in the year following graduation, 4% in the second year following graduation, and 6% in the third year following graduation.
- The loan repayment schedule is as follows: 30% of the outstanding loan to be repaid in the first year after graduation, 30% in the second year, and 40% in the third year. Loans still outstanding three years after graduation bear interest at market rates.
- Additionally the Society has a book fund which makes grants available to all eligible students who have received loans under the program. Grant amounts vary.
- TO APPLY: Requests for information and an application letter should be addressed to: Council on Dental Education New Hampshire Dental Society P.O. Box 2229 Concord, New Hampshire 03302-2229.
Oregon Student Assistance Commission
- Scholarship opportunities available to students either attending Oregon colleges and universities and/or who have graduated from Oregon high schools, and have resided in Oregon for twelve months.
- TO APPLY: Applications will be available in November. Call 800-452-8807, ext. 7395, visit www.osac.state.or.us or www.getcollegefunds.org. The deadline to apply is March 1st of each year.
Psi Omega Arthur I. Steinberg Award
- In recognition of a student who exemplifies excellence in academics, leadership, and character as embodied by Dr. Arthur I. Steinberg, a member from 1977-present.
- Given annually to TWO first-year members of Psi Omega Fraternity.
- Applications will be reviewed by the fraternity board and submitted to a scholarship review committee of Psi Omega faculty for final interviews.
- The two $500 scholarships will be placed on each student’s bursar account for the next academic year.
- TO APPLY: Please contact Psi Omega at firstname.lastname@example.org for application details.
Raymond Joseph Harris Educational Fund
- Available to Christian men obtaining a degree in an accredited professional school.
- One year grants available and are renewable -Required materials: transcript, copy of the financial statement sent to school, and a letter of recommendation from a teacher.
- To APPLY: Applications available in the Office of Student Affairs. Email notification will be sent to students annually. Applications are returned to the Office of Student Affairs who will forward it to the Trustee.
RYU Family Foundation (RFF), Inc.
- Applicants must be Korean-American or a Korean student with permanent resident status.
- Must be a full-time student studying for an advanced degree at a legally approved college or university located in one of the following 10 states or a resident of one of the following states studying full-time for an advanced degree at an approved institution anywhere in the U.S.: Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey or Delaware.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and be in need of financial aid.
- A student may be allowed to receive the RFF scholarship repeatedly if qualified.
- TO APPLY: For application information and deadline, call (973) 560-9696 or write to RYU Family Foundation, 901 Murray Road, East Hanover, NJ 07936. * Deadline to apply is November 5 of each year.
Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara
- Applicable to high school graduates from Santa Barbara County, California or adult re-entry students who have resided in Santa Barbara for at least three years as a non-student.
- Applicants must be full-time medical or graduate students enrolled at an approved U.S. college or university.
- Available October 1st for the 2007-08. Interviews will be conducted in March.
- TO APPLY: Send a self-addressed, double-stamped long envelope with request for application to: Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara, PO Box 3620, Santa Barbara, CA 93130. For any questions call (805) 687-6065 or visit www.sbscholarship.org. Deadline to apply is January 31st of each year.
- Scholarships are available to oustanding students who are pursuing careers in healthcare.
- Twenty $5,000 grants and 150 $1,000 grants will be allocated.
- TO APPLY: Please visit www.tylenol.com/scholarship for an application and more information. The application will be submitted on line and this year is due by May 15, 2008.
Union Sponsored Scholarship and Aid
- Scholarships available for members and/or family members of the union movement. Please visit: http://www.unionplus.org/benefits/education/scholarships
USA Funds Access to Education Scholarships
- Annual adjusted gross family income of $35,000 or less, as documented on federal income tax return on which the applicant is claimed as a federal tax exemption. Are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens.
- Award amount: $1,500 scholarships, renewable.
- Up to 50 percent of the scholarship awards will be targeted to applicants who are members of an ethnic minority group or have a documented physical disability.
- TO APPLY: Apply online by early February and check web site for any changes: http://www.usafunds.org/students/Pages/Access2EdSchol.aspx
William Goldman Foundation Scholarship
- Available to students who are in the top quarter of their class, have high level of financial need, and demonstrate potential future contributions to the Philadelphia community.
- TO APPLY: Applications are available at the Student Affairs office along with a copy of the guidelines, as well as from William Goldman Scholarship Committee, 425 South 15th Street, Suite 1116, Philadelphia, PA 19102; 215-568-0411. Applications are due by March 15 of each year.
York County Community Foundation Tom Adams, Jo Hunger, George LaMotte Scholarship
- To be eligible, applicants must have a permanent addresses in York County, Pa., must be a student of good standing, and eligible to receive scholarships based on merit or financial need.
- Award amount: $2,000
- TO APPLY: The Office of Student Affairs receives notification of the application procedure in October.
Zeta Phi Beta General Graduate Scholarships
- Scholarship is available to graduate women working on an advanced degree or postdoctoral study.
The award is for $2,500 and based on one academic year (Fall-Spring) of study.
- TO APPLY: Request application from www.zphib1920.org or call 202-387-3103. The application deadline is February 1 of each year.
Back to the top
Federal and State Government Resources
U.S. Department of Education:
- Educational Resources by State
- Federal Student Financial Aid
Bureau of Primary Health Care:
- Health Professional Shortage Areas
Indian Health Service Dental Program
- All health professional graduates are eligible, must be a US citizen and committed to practicing at an Indian health program priority site.
- TO APPLY: To obtain an application write or call the Loan Repayment Program at Indian Health Service, Loan Repayment Program, Twinbrook Metro Plaza-Suite 100A, 12300 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, MD 20852, (301) 443-3396. Also, please visit: www.dentist.ihs.gov.
Pennsylvania Loan Repayment Program
- Available to US citizens, general dentists who practice in Pennsylvania designated shortage areas.
- Loan repayment is based on the length of time in practice in a designated shortage area with a three year minimum commitment.
- TO APPLY: Contact Pennsylvania Loan Repayment Program, Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Health Planning, Box 90, Room 833, Harrisburg, PA 17108 or phone 717-772-5298. For additional information including deadlines please visit PA Department of Health.
National Health Service Corps Loan Forgiveness Program
- To be eligible for the NHSC Loan Forgiveness Program, you must be a US citizen enrolled in a US accredited dental school with a commitment to providing primary care service in an underserved area for a minimum of two years.
- Loan repayment available during the initial-two-year contract is $25,000/year.
- TO APPLY: Visit: nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov or call: (800) 221-9393.
Back to the top
Air Force, Navy and Army Scholarships
- A variety of scholarships, are available to dental students in return for service upon completion of the DMD program.
- For additional information contact:
- Air Force: 800-423-USAF
- Navy: 215-732-8436
- Army: 877-228-1961 or vsit www.healthcare.goarmy.com
American Association of Women Dentists
The organization has scholarship opportunities available to members at www.aawd.org
American Dental Education Association
Association of American Medical Colleges
The Association of American Medical Colleges provides several financial resources for students pursuing a career in the health sciences. The site provides information regarding scholarships, loan programs, and financial planning resources. Please visit: www.aamc.org/students/financing/start.htm
FastWeb Scholarship Search
FastWeb offers a free scholarship search engine with over 600,000 scholarships worth over 1 billion dollars. Please visit: http://www.fastweb.com
Finaid Scholarship and Loan Search
Student Awards Scholarship Search
Studentawards.com has hundreds of thousands of awards in its database. Please visit: www.studentawards.com
Back to the top