About the Center for Clinical and Translational Research
The Center for Clinical and Translational Research provides centralized support to researchers within Penn Dental Medicine who conduct human subjects research. Under the direction of Dr. Patricia Corby, Assistant Dean for Translational Research, this team of clinical research professionals is equipped to provide services that span the full spectrum of a study, from conceptualization to closeout, for industry, federal, and foundation sponsors.
The current team is led by Kira Nightingale, MS, MBA, Director of Clinical Research Operations, and comprises administrative personnel, clinical research coordinators, and dental practitioners. Investigators have the option of allocating our highly trained clinical research personnel directly to their project whenever available.
The Center for Clinical and Translational Research is in the process of completing renovations for a dedicated research facility. The new research suite will include office space, touchdown areas, a conference room, dental bays, a wet lab, and a DEA Schedule I substance compliant research pharmacy room. Construction is expected to be completed by early 2020.
During the pre-award phase, personnel are available to assist investigators in a variety of areas, including:
- Study design;
- Drafting and/or editing grant-related documents;
- Creation of industry-facing project proposals;
- Project management;
- Administrative coordination;
- Liaising with University of Pennsylvania departments and service centers, including the Office of Research Services, Biostatistics Analysis Center, and Clinical Research Computing Unit; and
- Budget and budget justification development.
Upon receipt of funding, Center personnel help ensure the success of the research project by providing study start-up, operational, and closeout support, such as:
- Assisting in the hiring and training of study personnel;
- Finalizing study documents;
- Performing IRB submissions;
- Organizing and implementing site initiation;
- Screening and enrolling participants;
- Conducting study visits;
- Monitoring recruitment, retention, and compliance with the study protocol;
- Monitoring data quality and compliance with GCP; and
- Performing study closeout activities.