The School of Dental Medicine provides exchange opportunities for international students from schools with which Penn Dental Medicine has an active memorandum of understanding (MOU). Participants in this program broaden their understanding of the practice of dentistry in the United States, with the goal of producing future leaders in oral health who are prepared to interact globally. The objectives are:
- To expand students’ knowledge base in oral health programs and health care systems of other countries.
- To develop an international perspective and approach to dental education and clinical practice.
- To cultivate intercultural competencies and sensitivity to other cultures among students, faculty and staff.
- To compare and contrast dental education and practice in the US with those of other countries.
International students spend 1-2 weeks at Penn Dental Medicine attending selected classes and observing various clinical operations.
|Al-Quds University||Osaka University|
|Chosun University||Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM)|
|Chung Shan Medical University||Tel Aviv University|
|East Meets West Foundation||The Hebrew University|
|Heinrich-Heine-University Dusseldorf||Tokyo Medical and Dental University|
|Jagiellonian University Medical College||Universidad De Los Andes|
|Kaohsiung Medical College,||Taiwan|
|Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST)||University of Bergen|
|Medical University of Lodz||University of Szeged|
|Mohammed VI University of Health Sciences||Warsaw University|
|Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry||Yonsei University|
Please be advised that the international exchange program is limited to students from the schools noted above with which Penn Dental Medicine has an active memorandum of understanding (list is dynamic as new agreements are signed).
For institutions not listed, which are interested in establishing memorandum of understanding with Penn Dental Medicine, please contact the Assistant Dean of Intramural and Extramural Partnerships, Dr. Bruce Brandolin, at email@example.com
Applying to the Program
In order for students to participate, please download the “In Good Standing Form” (PDF) and have your Dean or Faculty in charge of student electives, review and sign the form prior to completing the International Student Shadowing Application. Any questions should be directed to PDMExchangeStudent@dental.upenn.edu.
Once you receive approval of your visiting dates, each student must submit the following:
- Clinic Visitor Waiver Packet-2022.pdf Please note: Under “Which program would you like to participate in?” please select “International Student Program”. Under “Clinic Selection” please leave blank.
- Once you have completed the Clinic Visitor Waiver Packet and have all required copies of immunizations, please submit here.
Failure to submit all required documentation mandated by the waiver application may delay the start of your observation.
For any questions/concerns, please email: PDMExchangeStudent@dental.upenn.edu.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic exchange visitors must comply with the following guidelines:
- Up to date COVID-19 vaccination status i.e., fully vaccinated including booster when eligible. The following vaccines are accepted by UPenn:
- Johnson & Johnson/Janssen
- Must wear a mask at all times, the mask must be at a level equivalent to N95, KN95 or double masking with surgical mask covered with a cloth mask
- Must observe social distancing of at least 6 feet while dinning when masks are off
- Limit dinning and drinking to designated areas
- For clinical observation exchange visitors must provide a proof of fitting for a NIOSH approved N95 respirator and are required to bring a supply of these respirators for the duration of their stay at PDM
Updated: June 29, 2022