Financial Aid and Scholarships »
International Student Scholarships
If you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident, Penn Dental Medicine encourages you to explore funding sources from within your home country, including government and private scholarships and loans. As part of the visa application process, you must have a confirmed source of financial support for the time you will be in the U.S. on a student visa.
International students are eligible to borrow private loans with an approved U.S. citizen or permanent resident co-signer to pay their educational costs.
While the Office of Student Affairs makes every attempt to provide current and complete financial resource information, this list is by no means comprehensive. Programs, deadlines, and eligibility requirements are constantly changing. Student Affairs cannot assume responsibility for the information provided.
The following is a list of financial aid resources available to international dental students, including eligibility requirements and important deadline information.
Student Financial Services Alternative Private Loans
Armenian Student Association Scholarship
- Must be of Armenian descent. Must be a U.S. citizen or must possess appropriate Visa status in order to study in the U.S.
- Award amount: Up to $5,000
- TO APPLY: Apply by March 15; http://www.asainc.org/national/scholarships.shtml
John Gyles Education Fund
- Scholarships available for US and Canadian Citizens attending a full-time school in either country.
- Awards are up to $3,000
- TO APPLY: To receive an application send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to The John Gyles Education Fund, Secretary, P.O. Box 4808, 712 Riverside Drive, Frederiction, New Brunswick, Canada E3B-5G4 or call (506) 459-7460
- The deadline to apply is June 1.
Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship
- Available to U.S. students studying abroad or foreign students studying in the United States
- The Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Educational Foundation provides awards of $500-$1,000
- TO APPLY: A self-addressed stamped envelope must be mailed to the office between September 1 and December 1, in order to receive scholarship materials. Write to: Scholarship Chairperson, 1734 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20009, call (202) 387-3103, or visit www.zphib1920.org. * * The deadline to apply is February 1.
International Order of King’s Daughter and Sons Health Care Scholarship
- Scholarships available for US and Canadian Citizens pursuing careers in dentistry and other health fields.
- TO APPLY: Requests for applications may be made by writing to Director, Health Careers Department, P.O. Box 1040, Chautauqua, NY 14722-1040. Applications must be postmarked no later than April 1. For more information please visit: www.iokds.org/scholarship1.html
Rotary Club Ambassadorial Scholarships
- Available to international students whose local district has an established Rotary Club.
- The purpose of the Ambassadorial Scholarship program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different nations.
- The program provides a flat grant for one year of study.
- TO APPLY: Students must contact their local Rotary Club for an application, scholarship amount available, and deadline information.
For more information, please visit: www.rotary.org
Back to top
Foreign students must document their ability to cover their cost of education for the duration of the program. Foreign students are not eligible for need-based aid or federal loans. There is funding available for foreign students through private lenders. All lenders require a credit-worthy U.S. citizen or permanent resident to co-sign the loan.
Your credit history is one of the most important factors used in
determining your loan eligibility. Most loan programs require some form of credit evaluation. If you have defaulted on a previous educational loan, you are ineligible for future loans.
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 215-898-4550 with any questions.
Canadian Higher Education Loan Program (CanHELP)
- Canadian students may be eligible for loans through their province:
- Alberta Student Assistance Program 403-427-2301
- British Columbia Student Assistance Program 604-387-6100
- Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) 807-343-7260
Global Student Loan
- The Global Student Loan for citizens of India does not require a U.S. co-signer, however a co-signer from India is required. For more information, please visit http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/loans/global-student-loan.htm
Leo S. Rowe Pan American Fund
- The Rowe Fund provides interest-free loans to individuals from OAS member states in Latin America and the Caribbean with the understanding that beneficiaries will return to their home country in order to apply their training and acquired knowledge.
- Award amount: $15,000 per year
- TO APPLY: No application deadline. Please see: http://www.oas.org/ROWE/
Back to top
International Education Financial Aid
College scholarship search and grant listings plus international student loan programs. Visit www.iefa.org/
NAFSA Association of International Educators
FastWeb Scholarship Search
FastWeb offers a free scholarship search engine for over 600,000 scholarships worth over 1 billion dollars. Please visit: www.fastweb.com
Student Awards Scholarship Search
Studentawards.com has hundreds of thousands of awards in its database. Please visit: www.studentawards.com
Back to top