Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to the mission of Penn Dental Medicine.
On this page, you’ll find resources to learn more. Learn more from our colleagues across the campus about racial bias, inequities in health care, and how to talk to children about racial incidents. Find the resources available to you at Penn Dental Medicine and across the University of Pennsylvania. You can connect with student and alumni affinity groups, their resources, events, and missions. Learn more about how you can financially support diversity, equity, and inclusion at Penn Dental Medicine.
If you have a resource you have found useful, we would love to hear about it. Share your resource here.
- “Your Black Colleagues May Look Like They’re Okay – Chances Are They’re Not” by Danielle Cadet
- “The Four Bodies: A Holisitic Toolkit for Coping with Racial Trauma” by Jacquelyn Ogorchukwu
- “Racial Trauma is Real: The Impact of Police Shootings on African Americans” by Erlanger A. Turner & Jasmine Richardson
- “Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-First Century” by Dorothy Roberts | Penn Professor and Director of the Penn Program on Race, Science, and Society
- “How to talk to children after racial incidents” by Howard Stevenson | Penn Professor, Director, Racial Empowerment Collaborative and Director, Forward Promise
- “Dear White People, This is What We Want You to Do” by Kandise LeBlanc
- “Resources for White Philadelphians Who Are Ready to Actually Do Something About Racism and Anti-Blackness” by Maddy Sweitzer-Lamme and Samantha Spengler
- TedTalk: How to Overcome Our Biases? Walk Boldly Toward Them by Verna Myers | A talk on bias and privilege and specific ways to overcome these biases.
- “George Floyd and the Domino of Racial Injustice” by Trevor Noah
- TEDMED: “How to Resolve Racially Stressful Situations” by Dr. Howard Stevenson | Penn Professor, Director, Racial Empowerment Collaborative and Director, Forward Promise
- June 8, 2020 PSOM Community Dialogue on Racism, Racial Justice and Social Equity
- The New Should Not Be Normalized- Discussing Racial Literacy With Dr. Howard Stevenson
- At Home: Conversations on Race – Part 1: Dr. Howard Stevenson on Racial Literacy
- BBC’s HARDTalk Featuring Mary Frances Berry: A new era in civil rights?
- Codeswitch by NPR
- 1619 by The New York Times
- White Lies by NPR
- Uncivil by Gimlet Media
- Seeing White by Scene On Radio
- “How to Be an Antiracist” by Brené Brown & Ibrahim X. Kendi
- LinkedIn Learning Video Course: Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences
- Racial Equity Tools
- Anti-Racism Resources | Topics include: Resources for white parents to raise anti-racist children; Articles to read; videos to watch
- Equal Justice Initiative
- Human Rights Watch
- Facing History and Ourselves
- Teaching Tolerance
- Penn Library Guide to Anti-Racism Resources
- The Racial Empowerment Collaborative at Penn GSE
- Penn Program on Race, Science, and Society
- African American Women Writers at the Library from the Joanna Banks Collection
The Office of Institutional Advancement wants to hear from alumni about your experiences at the Dental School. Share your input here.
Student Groups at Penn Dental Medicine
- Chinese Dental Association
- Hispanic Student Dental Association (HSDA)
- Indian Student Dental Association
- Korean Student Dental Association
- Penn Dental Pride Alliance
- Student National Dental Association (SNDA) at Penn Dental Medicine
Graduate and Professional Student Groups at the University of Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania Resource Centers
- African-American Resource Center
- LGBT Center
- PAACH (Pan-Asian American Community House)
- Penn Women’s Center