Dr. Hwang is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Preventive & Restorative Sciences. He received both his B.S. in Chemical Engineering and Ph.D. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering from Yonsei University. Before joining Penn Dental Medicine in 2013, Dr. Hwang served as a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Seoul National University of Science and Technology.
Dr. Hwang’s research is centered on applying engineering principles and tools to understand the pathogenesis of various biofilm-associated oral diseases, and to develop therapeutic approaches. His research also includes the dynamic interplay between host and microbes in the context of infectious oral disease. He has published extensively in the area of biofilm research using engineering, biochemical/biophysical, confocal imaging methodologies and mathematical modeling.
HONORS / CREDENTIALS
- Member, Hatton Awards Committee of the AADR, 2020-2022
- Proposal Coordinator for Clinical and Translational Science Network, IADR, 2019-2020
- Scientific Review Panel, Special Emphasis Panel/Scientific Review Group, NIDCR, NIH, 2018
- The Joseph and Josephine Rabinowitz Award for Excellence in Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, 2018
- AADR Travel Award, Penn Dental Research Day, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, 2016
- AADR Travel Award, Penn Dental Research Retreat, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, 2014
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Orthodontics, University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, 2013-2015
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oral Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, 2012-2013
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada, 2010-2012
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Nano Medical National Core Research Center, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, 2010-2010