Dr. Joan Gluch serves as course director for four academically based service-learning community health courses in the predoctoral program at Penn Dental Medicine, and participates in the PennSmiles education, screening, sealant and dental treatment program as well as the Oral Health Outreach Program for individuals with HIV disease. Dr. Gluch directs the Community Health Honors programs, and also serves as program faculty for the interprofessional education program, Bridging the Gaps.
In her position as Associate Dean for Academic Policies, Dr. Gluch ensures compliance with the required standards of the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) for both the predoctoral and postgraduate dental education programs. Dr. Gluch works in an integrative role with the other associate deans and the graduate program directors on specific projects to evaluate and improve operations and policies at the School.
Dr. Gluch’s research interests focus on expanding access to oral health promotion and clinical care in community based settings. Dr. Gluch is the principal investigator for the training grant “Expanding Public Health Experiential Learning in Pre-Doctoral Dental Education,” received from the Health Resources and Services Administration, 2010-2015. This grant provides funds to expand the second-year public health course, to develop and implement the community health honors program, and to expand the dual degree MPH/DMD program.
Honors / Credentials
- Senior Fellow, Leonard Davis Institute
- Senior Fellow, Center for Public Health Initiatives
- Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2011
- Alumni Special Achievement Award, University of Pennsylvania Dental Hygiene Alumni Association, 2009
- Irene Newman Award, American Dental Hygienists’ Association, 2006
- Academic Effort Award, Pennsylvania Dental Hygienists’ Association, 2005
- Thomas Ehrlich Faculty Award for Service Learning, National Finalist, Campus Compact, 2004
- American Dental Hygienists’ Association/Warner Lambert Award of Excellence, 1996
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Society, Eta Chapter
- Sigma Phi Alpha Honor Society, Beta Omega Chapter
- Alpha Eta Honor Society, Beta Chapter