Dr. Yang’s research interests focus on exploring the mechanism of tooth and bone development, bone metabolism and mechanostransduction, as well as gene/stem cell therapy of bone diseases. Research in Dr. Yang’s lab has provided significant insights into the regulation of bone remodeling and bone resorption by the calcium oscillation, GPCR/G protein/RGS signaling pathways, primary cilia, IFT80 and IFT20 in regulation of bone cell behavior/bone and cartilage formation, which bridged the gap about the function and mechanism of RGS and ciliary IFT proteins in skeleton. Currently, the team is characterizing how RGS proteins regulates bone metabolism and aging skeleton. Additionally, studies are on the way to discover how ciliary IFT proteins and primary cilia affect tooth development, fracture healing and other bone related diseases. Those studies will lead to identification of novel regulatory cascades controlling fundamental bone developmental and remodeling processes and new insights in design of new therapeutic advances for bone and other diseases.
Honors / Credentials
- ASBMR Most Outstanding Abstract Award and Oral Presentation by Twenty-Eight Annual Meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2006, Philadelphia, PA
- AIMM-ASBMR John Haddad Young Investigators Award. 2007, Snowmass, CO, U.S.A.
- NIH/NIDCR T32 fellowship 2007
- Reviewer for: Biomaterials, PNAS, Plos Genetics, JBMR, Bone, PloS One, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, Journal of clinical periodontology, Journal of periodontology, International Journal of Biological Science, Cell proliferation, Tissue Engineering Part A, Experimental Biology and Medicine, Journal of Cell Science, JBC, Sci Rep, Oncotarget, Stem Cell Research & Therapy, Stem Cell Dev, etc.
- Grant reviewer Services for: NIH SBDD study section (2015, 2016), NIH/NIDCR DSR study section (2016), NIH MTE study section (2017), Army Medical Research and Material Command, Human Frontier Science Program (2013-2015), and Children Tumor Foundation (2013-present)
- AADR Buffalo Section Secretary (2012) Treasure (2013), President (2014)
- Fellowship committee Board member, AADR 2013-2016
- Board editors for Journal of Craniofacial and Oral Science, Journal of cell
- Biology and genetics, Journal of Investigative Dental Sciences, JSM Dentistry, Journal of Dental Research & Applications, Periodontics and Prosthodontics iMedpub, Austin Dental Sciences
- Research Associate, Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2002-2003
- Staff Associate, Department of Cytokine Biology, The Forsyth Institute, 2003-2007 –
- Instructor, Department of Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2005-2008
- Staff Scientist, Department of Cytokine Biology, The Forsyth Institute, 2007-2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo, 2008-2014
- Associate Professor, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, SUNY at Buffalo, 2014-2016