Dr. Kim is well known and respected for his research in dental pulp physiology and microcirculationrunning the Pulp Biology Laboratory when he was a faculty member at Columbia University College of Dental Medicine. When he joined the Dental School at the University of Pennsylvania in 1992 as chairman of the Department of Endodontics, Dr. Kim not only brought the department into the “New Age “ using the Microscope in endodontics, but also established the Microscope Training Center at the School. Since its inception, over 1000 leaders in endodontic education and clinical practitioners from the USA, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia have been trained at the Center. It is the longest running University based continuation program in the world. He also changed old fashioned endodontic surgery to modern microsurgery by developing a series of microinstruments for the field and writing a textbook entitled,“Color Atlas of Microsurgery in Endodontics” published in 2000 by the Saunders Co.
Extensive speaking engagements take Dr. Kim to universities, conferences, study clubs, and professional associations in the US and abroad. Dr. Kim has published over seventy articles in peer review journals. He has also served as Guest Editor in the Dental Clinics of North America series, published in July 1997 and 2004 and he is co-author of a text book in endodontics entitled “Endodontology, a Color Atlas of Dental Medicine”, Thieme Co., Germany 2000. This text book has been translated to 14 languages. His current research interest is evaluation of various dental materials using stem-cell lines.
HONOR / CREDENTIALS
- Ralph F. Sommer Award for significant publications from the AAE, 2005
- University of Graz, Austria, Honorary Medical Doctor (MD), 2002
- Louis I. Grossman Award for excellence in research from the American Association for Endodontists (AAE), 1992
- Pulp Biology Research Award from the International Assoc of Dental Research (IADR), 1991
- President, Pulp Biology Group IADR/AADR, 1988-1992
- Editorial Board Member of the International J. of Endodontics, J. of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine and Oral Biology, J of Endodontics