Prior to joining Penn Dental Medicine as Chairperson of the Department of Preventive and Restorative Sciences in September 2006, Dr. Blatz was at Louisiana State University (LSU) Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry in New Orleans, where he served as Chairman of the Department of Comprehensive Dentistry and Biomaterials and Assistant Dean for Clinical Research. During his tenure at LSU, Dr. Blatz also directed the Masters of Science in Oral Biology Program and was a senior faculty member in the Department of Prosthodontics. From 1994 to 1998 he was an Assistant Professor and from 1998 to 1999 a senior faculty member in the Department of Prosthodontics at Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg School of Dentistry in Freiburg, Germany.
Dr. Blatz completed a residency in prosthodontics/perioprosthodontics there as well in 1997 and became board certified by the German Society for Prosthodontics and Biomaterials (DGPro) in 2001. A widely published and internationally respected lecturer, Dr. Blatz’s main focus within clinical practice and research is esthetic dentistry with an emphasis on implantology and dental materials, particularly ceramics and adhesion. He has founded and directs Penn Dental Medicine’s CAD/CAM Ceramic Center, an interdisciplinary venture to study emerging technologies and new ceramic materials while providing state-of-the-art esthetic clinical care. Dr. Blatz is Associate Editor for Quintessence International and former Section Editor for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Associate Editor for Quintessence of Dental Technology. He holds editorial positions with over thirty professional journals, including the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Journal of Adhesive Dentistry, Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, and the International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry.
Dr. Blatz is president of the International Academy for Adhesive Dentistry, diplomat in the German Society for Prosthodontics and Biomaterials, and a member of multiple other professional organizations, including the European Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, the American College of Prosthodontists, International College of Prosthodontists, Academy of Osseointegration, and O.K.U. Honor Dental Society.
Dr. Blatz is coauthor of the international bestseller “evolution – contemporary protocols for anterior single-tooth implants”, which has been translated in over 8 languages.
Honors / Credentials
- President, International Academy for Adhesive Dentistry, 2015-2017
- Ivoclar Vivadent/International College of Posthodontists (ICP) Research
- Fellowship Award in Dental Restorative Materials for Fellow/Mentor team, 2016
- 2nd Place Fusuyama IAAD Scientists Award (PhD Advisor, senior author), 2015
- 2nd Place IAAD Presidential Student Scientist Award (student mentor, co-author), 2015
- Fellow, American College of Dentists, 2014
- Rabinowitz Research Award (co-author), University of Pennsylvania, 2014
- Outstanding Scientific Publication Award (co-author) from the Japanese Society for Prosthodontics, 2013
- Awarded Professorship from Freiburg University, Germany, 2012
- Finalist, European Academy of Esthetic Dentistry (EAED) Scientific Award (PhD advisor, senior author), 2011
- Thomas P. Hinman Fellow, 2010, Hinman Dental Society and Medical College of Georgia
- Arthur Frechette Research Award (co-author), International Association for Dental Research, 2009
- Honorary Member, American College of Prosthodontics, 2007
- President, New Orleans Chapter of the American Association of Dental Research, 2005-2006
- Junior Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service, American Dental Education Association at LSU School of Dentistry, 2004
- LSU Student Council Nominee for ADEA Student Council National Junior Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, 2004
- Active Member, European Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, 2003
- Excellence in Teaching Award “Golden Apple” (Teacher of the Year), LSU School of Dentistry, 2002
- Diplomat, German Society of Prosthodontics and Material Sciences, 2001
-C E Kells Honor Society Excellence in Teaching Award, C E Kells Honor Society, 2001 Honorary Faculty Member