Applying to the Program
Students who have completed clinical specialty training at an accredited institution, beyond their DMD/DDS or equivalent degree, are eligible to apply for the Doctor of Science in Dentistry (DScD) program without certificate. To apply to the DScD program alone, please submit the following credentials:
- The DScD without Certificate Application – This application must be completed in full.
- NIH Biosketch — A resume or curriculum vitae is not an appropriate substitution for the biosketch. NIH Biosketch Format Sample
- Three Evaluations — Penn Dental Medicine requires three evaluations for the DScD application. Evaluations will be requested electronically by the applicant while completing the application in the applicant portal and should be completed by those people most familiar with the applicant’s current or former studies, research interests, or work. Evaluators must meet the following criteria:
- One evaluation from the Dean or Director of your dental school.
- Two evaluations from a member of your dental school faculty or a dental professional.
- A $90 non-refundable application fee – A non-refundable application fee of $90 will be collected at the time of application. No application fee waivers are available.
- Official National Dental Board Scores (U.S. candidates only) – Official ADA national board scores can be requested from the ADA’s Department of Testing Services at www.ada.org/dentpin. Request that official scores are sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unofficial scores will not be considered.
- Official TOEFL Scores – An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required for all international applicants, except those from English speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Canada). TOEFL scores are valid for two calendar years prior to the program’s application deadline. Penn Dental Medicine only accepts the Internet-Based iBT exam. In order for scores to be considered official, Penn Dental Medicine must receive your electronic TOEFL scores directly from ETS. Instructions for ordering official TOEFL scores are available on the ETS TOEFL website. Penn Dental Medicine’s institution code is 2944. Please use the institution code when requesting your official scores to ensure that we receive them as efficiently as possible. Photocopies or paper copies of scores will not meet this requirement. Although there is no minimum TOEFL score, serious consideration will be given to applicants with iBT scores of 90 and above. IELTS scores will not be considered.
- Official Transcripts – Official transcripts from all colleges, universities and advanced clinical training programs attended are required. Applicants who received their post-secondary education in the U.S. and Canada have the option of sending their official transcripts electronically through a secure file transfer with e-transcript services Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse. Official transcripts can also be emailed securely from both Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse to email@example.com. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted, nor will emailed transcripts from services other than Parchment or Student Clearinghouse. If electronic or email delivery of official transcripts through these services are unavailable at your institution, please have your sealed official transcripts set to the mailing address below.Applicants who received their post-secondary education in countries other than the U.S. or Canada must have sealed official transcripts mailed from the granting institution to the mailing address below. If official transcripts are not written in the English language, an original certified English translation is required. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Unfortunately, international transcripts cannot be sent electronically.
In addition to official transcripts from all international post-secondary schools attended, applicants must submit an Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) Course by Course evaluation from those schools in order to be considered for admission. Please review the ECE® official documentation requirements carefully, as they vary by country.
To request your report, visit https://accounts.ece.org/TPO/USDM-F and select Course-by-Course Evaluation Report. The report will be delivered electronically to PDM.
Please submit the above materials in their entirety to:
Office of Admissions
Robert Schattner Center
Penn Dental Medicine
240 S. 40th St., Room 122
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030
All materials, completed in full, must be received in the Office of Graduate Dental Education or postmarked by the November 1 deadline to ensure review by the Admissions Selection Committee. Make generous allowances for international mail. Late materials will be marked as such and not necessarily examined.
215-898-9068 or 215-573-8818