Dr. Leandro Chambrone currently serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Periodontics at Penn Dental Medicine. He holds extensive experience in didactic teaching and clinical training of predoctoral and postgraduate (MSc and PhD) students. His first exposure to teaching was during his postgraduate training (2007-2012), when Dr. Chambrone worked with predoctoral students as a clinical supervisor and lecturer. Upon completion of this training, he joined Guarulhos University as an Assistant Professor, where he was in charge of lecturing didactic classes and providing laboratorial and clinical training to predoctoral and postdoctoral students. He then went on to join the MSc Dentistry Program at Ibirapuera University, where his responsibilities included lecturing the predoctoral and postdoctoral classes and mentoring Master students. Dr. Chambrone serves as an Ad-honorem Associate Professor / Research Consultant at the Unit of Basic Oral Investigations at El Bosque University (Colombia), as well as Visiting Professor at the Department of Periodontology at the University of Iowa. He has developed didactical materials that have been widely used by predoctoral and postdoctoral students worldwide. Along these lines, he has co-authored a chapter in the 12th and 13th eds. of Carranza’s Textbook of Periodontology, four commissioned review papers for the American Academy of Periodontology (one on soft tissue root coverage for the 2014 AAP Workshop on Periodontal Tissue Regeneration and three for the AAP Best-Evidence Consensus on Lasers and CBCT), and for the European Federation of Periodontology (XV Workshop in Periodontology). Furthermore, he has published two textbooks, one on Periodontal Plastic Surgery for undergraduate students published in three languages (English, Portuguese and Chinese) by Springer Verlag Book Co. in 2015, and one on Decision-Making in Dental Implantology published in five languages (English, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian and Turkish). Dr. Chambrone’s scientific papers are often reviewed in local and international Certificate Programs of Periodontology.
Beyond his enthusiasm and dedication as a dental clinician and educator, Dr. Chambrone is also heavily involved with clinical research and evidence-based dentistry. His publications have a high impact in current dentistry and are among the most cited articles published in 2012 and 2015 at both Journal of Clinical Periodontology and Journal of Periodontology. Recognition of his work in the field of periodontology is also demonstrated through his work as member of the Cochrane Oral Health Group and editorial board of an international dental journal (i.e. Clinical Oral Implants Research). In addition, Dr. Chambrone currently serves as the Section / Associate Editor of Clinical Research for the International Journal of Oral Implantology. He is currently working on a new book on periodontal and implant-related plastic surgery to be released in 2021 by Quintessence Publishing Group.
Honors / Credentials
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Periodontics, University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine, 2020 – Present
- Section / Associate Editor of Clinical Research for the International Journal of Oral Implantology, 2019 – Present
- Visiting Professor, Department of Periodontics, Faculty of Dentistry and Dental Clinics, The University of Iowa, 2016 – Present
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, 2016 – Present
- Professor, MSc Dentistry Program, Ibirapuera University São Paulo, Brazil, 2015 – Present
- Ad-Honorem Associate Professor / Consultant, Unit of Basic Oral Investigation, El Bosque University, Bogota, Colombia, 2014 – Present
- Editorial Review Board, Clinical Oral Implants Research, 2014 – Present
- Assistant professor, Department of Periodontology, Dental Research Division, Guarulhos University, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012 – 2014
- Research Fellow and didactic training: Division of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 2007 – 2011
- Volunteer Assistant Professor, Division of Periodontics, Methodist University of São Paulo, São Bernardo do Campo, Brazil, 2000 – 2009
- Clinician (Private Practice), São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 2000 – Present