Doctor of Science in Dentistry »
Admissions DScD without Certificate
Appling to the Program
Students who have completed clinical specialty training at an accredited institution are eligible to apply for the Doctor of Science in Dentistry (DScD) program without certificate. To apply to the DScD program alone, please submit the following credentials:
- The DScD without Certificate Application – download a PDF of the application. The application must be completed in full and submitted directly to the Office of Graduate Dental Education at Penn Dental Medicine.
- NIH Biosketch — A resume or curriculum vitae is not an appropriate substitution for the biosketch. NIH Biosketch Format Sample
- Three evaluations — PLEASE NOTE: The evaluations must come directly from the evaluators; download the DScD Program without Clinical Certificate Program Candidate Evaluation Form and send each evaluator the form to complete and send to: Robert Schattner Center, Penn Dental Medicine, Office of Graduate Dental Education, 240 South 40th Street, 3rd Floor Evans Building, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030.
- A $90 non-refundable application fee – This fee must be submitted with the completed supplemental application; please note that the Office of Graduate Dental Education is unable, without exception, to waive this application fee. Checks or money orders (in U.S. currency) are payable to Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania.
- An official copy of advanced clinical training transcript.
- An official copy of dental school transcript.
- An official copy of college transcript.
- Official National Dental Board Scores (U.S. candidates only).
Additional Information for International Applicants
- An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required for all international applicants, except those from English speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Canada). The TOEFL scores can be submitted with the supplemental application in a sealed envelope or directly from the ETS TOEFL agency. Scores may be submitted separately if you do not have them when you submit the Supplemental application. Penn Dental Medicine’s TOEFL Institution Code is 3143 and the Department Code is 38. Although there is no minimum TOEFL score, serious consideration will be given to applicants with Internet-based test (IBT) scores of 90 and above. For information and registration materials, visit TOEFL web site .
- All documents must be accompanied by a translation if in a language other than English; credentials and translations will not be considered official unless they are from accredited sources and are embossed/notarized by the issuing parties.
- A DMD/DDS degree is required for all Graduate Dental Education Programs. Individuals who do not have a DMD/DDS (e.g. individuals holding a BDS or other degrees) need to have their credentials evaluated to show that your degree is equivalent to a DMD/DDS and that equivalency must be documented on the report of the credentialing service. An application cannot be considered complete and processed without this credentialing documentation.
Please submit the above materials in their entirety to:
Office of Graduate Dental Education
Robert Schattner Center
Penn Dental Medicine
240 S. 40th St., 3rd Floor Evans Building
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030
All materials, completed in full, must be received in the Office of Graduate Dental Education or postmarked by the November 1 deadline to ensure review by the Admissions Selection Committee. Make generous allowances for international mail. Late materials will be marked as such and not necessarily examined.