Date/Time: Tuesday and Wednesday, May 17 and 18 | 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm (Live Webinar);
Friday, May 20, 2022 | 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (Penn Medicine Clinical Simulation Center)
Registration Fee: $950 (dentists)
$712.50 Penn Dental Medicine Alumni and Faculty
**Course is limited to 12 participants, please register early**
Register: CLICK HERE »
CE Credits: 14.0 total credits
This course is designed to provide didactic and clinical instruction in nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia in accordance with American Dental Association guidelines. Upon completion of this course, the participant will be eligible for an Anesthesia Restricted Permit II from the Pennsylvania Board of Dentistry. The course is geared towards general dentists and dental specialists.
- Define and describe physiological and psychological aspects of anxiety.
- Describe the stages of consciousness and the levels of sedation.
- Review respiratory and circulatory physiology and related anatomy.
- Discuss the pharmacology of nitrous oxide.
- Discuss the advantages/disadvantages and indications/contraindications of nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia.
- Perform patient evaluation, selection, and preparation for nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia.
- Describe and discuss the function and basic components of nitrous oxide/oxygen delivery and scavenging systems.
- Administer nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia to patients in a clinical setting in a safe and effective manner.
- Monitor patients undergoing nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia and document the procedure.
- Discuss the complications associated with nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia and the prevention, recognition, and management of medical emergencies.
- Discuss potential occupational health hazards and abuse potential.
This course will enable participants to:
- Achieve competency in the administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia.
- If licensed in Pennsylvania, be eligible for an Anesthesia Restricted Permit II from the State Board of Dentistry.